11.11.2010

a late supper

It’s funny how certain ideas become imprinted in our memories at a young age.  

When I was in 6th grade I remember riding my bike to the local video store with friends and borrowing Eddie Murphy’s Beverly Hills Cop.  (I have no idea how we were able to rent it at that age.)  We would watch it over and over again, quoting all of our favorite lines. 

In case you forgot how hilarious and quotable this movie is, check out the original 1984 trailer. 

In one scene Eddie Murphy’s character distracts the cops, who are staking him out in front of his hotel, by sending them a shrimp salad sandwich from the late supper room service menu.  The sandwich is so good, and they are so distracted, that he puts a banana in their car tailpipe. 

It’s a classic scene.

Every time I would watch that scene I wanted that sandwich.  (In the movie you never even see the sandwich!)  But in my mind it must have been the tastiest shrimp salad sandwich in the world. 

I was watching an Eddie Murphy biography on tv the other day.  I immediately wanted to watch all of his classic 80’s movies again… and I wanted to eat a shrimp salad sandwich.

I love how eating that sandwich takes me back.

To being that age.  To feeling like a rebel because I was watching Eddie Murphy’s movies.  To being amazed at the idea of a fancy hotel server delivering a late supper to a car across the street.  To thinking a shrimp salad sandwich was the ultimate luxury in life.

There’s a quote I love by Einstein that that says “There are two ways to live your life - one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle.”

Sometimes it’s easy to forget that we can easily experience the ultimate luxuries in life (if we would just look at the world through our own inner-child’s eye.)  It might even be in something as simple as a sandwich.

love-roots pairing

eat- a shrimp salad sandwich
curl up- in bed for a late supper
drink- sparkling water with a “lemon twist”
watch- beverly hills cop
get ready- to laugh


Distracting Shrimp Salad Sandwiches

Shrimp Salad
½ # Shrimp, cooked and deveined
½ ea Small Red Onion, thin sliced
3 stalks Green Red Onion, sliced thin on a bias
2 or 3 sprigs Dill, chopped
1 ea Lemon, zest
½ ea Lemon, juice
3 tbs Mayonnaise
1 sm dash Red Wine Vinegar
1 drizzle Olive Oil
1 pinch Red Pepper flakes
1 tiny pinch Sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste

2 ea Large Buttery Croissants
½ Avocado, sliced

Combine all ingredients for the shrimp salad in a bowl and mix.  Taste and adjust for flavor.  (If it’s too thick add a bit more red wine vinegar, if it’s too thin add a bit more mayo.)  Slice the croissants in half lengthwise to make the sandwiches.  On the bottom of the croissants put a layer of the sliced avocado.  Pile half of the shrimp salad on top of each croissant, leaving some in the bowl if it gets too high.  Top with the other half of the croissant, turn on a movie and enjoy.

7 comments:

  1. I can't believe we used to watch that movie on VHS! That scene in the movie is so memorable. The sandwich is so refreshing, especially with the avocado. The croissant is a nice addition as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I can't believe you still own a VCR. Secondly, on Einstein's profound truth-- was he eating a shrimp salad crossant sandwhich made in the hands of a master creator or was he watching an Eddie Murphy movie? Regardless, thank you for reminding me of how miracles come in the most ordinary packages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you took me out of reality for a few minutes. thanks MB!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha, the good old days when eddie murphy still did drugs and was funny. the inventory references in your recipes make me yearn for another industrial kitchen (or at least a normal sized, western one). i have some smoked duck breasts that I will confit for my birthday/thanksgiving meal on sunday. Your brother-in-law will be fat and inebriated before the day is over. I also was introduced to a pomegranate vinegar drink that, when mixed with beer or makali (rice beer), is quite delicious. keep the food coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude - Banana in the exhaust pipe... Classic. Never realized that it was a shrimp salad sandwich. Good eye.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sandwich in Beverly Hills Cop was a "Bay Shrimp Salad Sandwich". I always thought that it should include Old Bay seasoning. I'm gonna make this recipe, but substitute Old Bay for the salt and pepper. Thanks for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete