11.04.2010

burnt kabob

Because this week has been a little crazy (with a 24-hour chef’s event I’m doing at work) I thought I’d share a poem I’ve been inspired by.


Burnt Kabob

Last year, I admired wines.  This,
I’m wandering inside the red world.

Last year, I gazed at the fire.
This year I’m burnt kabob.

Thirst drove me down to the water
where I drank the moon’s reflection.

Now I am a lion staring up totally
lost in love with the thing itself.

Don’t ask questions about longing.
Look in my face.

Soul drunk, body ruined, these two
sit helpless in a wrecked wagon.
Neither knows how to fix it.

And my heart, I’d say it was more
like a donkey sunk in a mudhole,
struggling and miring deeper.

But listen to me: for one moment,
quit being sad.  Hear blessings
dropping their blossoms
around you.  God.

                          -       Rumi

I’ve been reading a collection of Rumi’s poems for sometime now.  Every once in a while I find myself picking it up and reading a few pages. 
 
I’m always in awe of the raw yet graceful tone of Rumi’s poems.  While he is often labeled as a romantic poet, I feel that he’s more of a mystic, celebrating the wonderment of everyday moments. 

One of his poems, Burnt Kabob, has really stuck in my mind.  I think it’s the idea of wandering in a red world, getting burnt by a fire and drinking from the moon’s reflection that lingers with me.

I love the ardor of those images.  The inexplicable rush one gets from taking a chance and committing wholly to an idea, belief or dream.

The idea of the burnt kabob is freeing really.  In order to follow our passions we have to let go of the fear of getting burnt. 

I want to cook more like that.
 
I want to live more like that.

But what is the “thing” that the courageous lion is staring up at, lost in love with?  I guess that is the question everyone has to ask themselves.  (Maybe the “thing” is different for each of us?)  Where does one find their own passion, spirituality and transcendence? 

Is it the act of doing, the journey of through the mud itself, that allows us to hear the dropping of the blossoms? 
(Have a lovely rest of the week.)


love-roots pairing

eat- char-grilled kabobs
over- a bowl of herbed couscous
drink- red wine until you wander inside a red world
read- a Rumi poem (or any poem that fills you with passion)



“Burnt” Rumi Kabobs

1 ½# Sirloin Steak, Lamb or Chicken, cubed
1 ea Red Onion, cubed
5 or 6 ea Skewers, soaked in water

Marinade
6 cloves Garlic, minced
1 sm handful Oregano, chopped
1 ea Lemon, juice and zest
1 sm drizzle Honey
2 tbs Greek Yogurt
1 lrg drizzle Olive Oil
1 pinch each Cayenne, Cumin, Red Pepper Flakes or to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste

Add all ingredients for the marinade in a shallow bowl.  Taste the marinade for spiciness and seasoning.  (Add more spices, honey, and salt until you like the flavor.)  Add the cubed meat of your choice.  Cover and let marinade in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.  Assemble skewers by alternating the meat and red onions.  Cook on an outdoor grill for about 2 minutes a side, depending on the type of meat.  Serve over some herbed couscous with a tasty red wine.

7 comments:

  1. As an avid "griller" myself, I'm definitely going to have to try this recipe.

    Great Blog! The pictures are amazing! I look forward to your weekly entries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, MB. Loving the imagery and sensations you note and are bringing to life. Blessing blossoms is a great band name, too, btw. LOL. Happy Friday homie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimber asked me to post this for her: Unable to post as I cannot sort out how to get on board with the blog program. Please share with Mary Beth that I believe that she will be the next big blog star. She writes so eloquently and I find her Blog to be relaxing and entertaining. I am food and spirts enthusiast and I hugely enjoyed the Burnt Kabob read. I hope that she keeps them coming. - Kimber.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ernie was having trouble posting and asked me to post: "I love the symplicity of the kabobs. I will definitely make these for my daughters!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kabobs were cooked to perfection. So tender with a slight char (mmmm). The couscous was mind blowing. The hint of fire and onion enabled the couscous to be a wonderful treat in of itself without the kabob. The two put together made for an outstanding meal. I wonder what this week will bring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I once knew a cat named Rumi... A year later I met girl named Rumi...

    Aside from that, Alan is hungry. Please send burnt/raw kabob to my tummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1XBet
    Betting in India. It 출장샵 can goyangfc be great to find the most popular brands, especially dafabet ones that offer betting on sports such as football, 생활 바카라 tennis,  Rating: 1/10 · ‎Review by Riku VihreasaariWhere can I find 1xbet?Where 1xbet app can I find 1xbet betting?

    ReplyDelete